- Seeing Niagara Falls An awesome display of natural power that should not be missed, the falls is worth a stop even for a half hour. But if you have time, see it from the Canadian side for superior views.
- Falls tours While you're next to the waterworks, make time for at least one tour—Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, or the White Water Walk—and maybe also a cable car over the whirlpool, a fast-paced boat ride with Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours, or a helicopter ride over the thundering waters.
- Buffalo The state's second-largest city, dating from 1804, has historic buildings, a handful of Frank Lloyd Wright structures, some worthwhile art museums, and the region's top restaurants, music, and theater.
- The Chautauqua Institution This summer-long program of lectures, workshops, and performances has been the number one attraction in southwestern New York since Victorian times.
- Allegany State Park An amazing 65,000-acre expanse of woodsy trails, hilltop views, lakes, and campsites makes for the nature-lover's ultimate playground.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More