- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Making the Most of Your Time
The Upper East Side lends itself to a surprising variety of simple but distinct itineraries: exploring the landmarks on Museum Mile; languorous gallery grazing; window shopping on Madison Avenue; or bar hopping for just-out-of-college kids on 2nd Avenue. If it's the museums you're after, make sure to plan at least a few hours per museum—with some snack/coffee breaks. There's a lot to see, so we'd advise not more than one museum a day.
The Upper East Side's town houses, boutiques, consignment stores, and hidden gardens are easy to miss unless you take some time to wander. If all that walking wears you out, you can always hit one of the nail salons and indulge in a neighborhood stereotype of the pampered Upper East Sider. A well-deserved post-Museum Mile foot rub and mani/pedi are surprisingly reasonably priced.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $298-$335 -- NYC: Weekends at Stylish Midtown Hotel, 20% Off Sofitel New York
- $179 & up -- NYC Marriott Hotels thru August, 35% Off Marriott Hotels & Resorts
- $15.78 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $48.50 -- Percussive Troupe 'Stomp' in NYC, Reg. $78 'Stomp'
- $204-$228 -- NYC: Daily at 4-Star Hotel in Summer, 45% Off — $204-$228 InterContinental New York Barclay