Built in 1840 for merchant and developer Don Alonzo Cushman, this string of red-brick beauties between 9th and 10th avenues represents some of the country'sbest examples of Greek Revival rowhouses. Original details include small wreath-encircled attic windows, deeply recessed doorways with brownstone frames, and striking iron balustrades and fences. Note the pineapples, a traditional symbol of welcome, on top of the black iron newels in front of No. 416.
406–418 W. 20th St., between 9th and 10th aves., New York, New York, 10011, USA