- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
JW Marriott Essex House
At a Glance
- great service
- amazing views
- impressive restaurant
- overly complex room gadgetry
- expensive bar
JW Marriott Essex House Review
With Central Park views and an art deco masterpiece of a lobby, the JW Marriott Essex House is a comfortable Midtown hotel that is full of character. The property's stately design is at its best in the elegant lobby, with inlaid marble floors and bas-relief elevator doors. Sizable rooms are art deco-inspired, with plush, modern furniture and marble bathrooms. Afternoon tea in the lobby lounge is a leisurely affair, a ritual that alludes to the rich history of this hotel that first opened its doors in 1931. Amenities, however, are completely contemporary, with a well-equipped fitness center and spa with saunas and steam rooms. The South Gate restaurant draws a European crowd with its design-conscious, comfortable interior and extensive wine list.
- Address: 160 Central Park S, between 6th and 7th Aves. Midtown West, New York, NY 10019 | Map It
- Phone: 212/247–0300; 800/937–8461
- Website: www.marriott.com
- Subway: F, N, R, Q to 57th St.
- Location: Midtown West
- 509 rooms, 117 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After a 13-year absence from New York City, my husband and I decided to revisit this special place from November 21-25, to celebrate his birthday in the city where he was born. Read more
After too many quick jaunts to NYC just to hit up some museum exhibitions at haunts we'd already visited a million times before, we finally went to two we'd not been to, and I thought them worthy of a recommendatio Read more
I'll be in NYC for a conference (AALS) and have the day before the conference to myself. Read more
· News & Features
There's something wonderfully comforting about an old-school ski resort.... Read more
Arts and culture are celebrated as much as the world-class beaches in St.... Read more
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring... Read more