- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
JW Marriott Essex House
At a Glance
- great service
- amazing views
- impressive restaurant
- overly complex room gadgetry
- expensive bar
Check Rates from our Partners
JW Marriott Essex House Review
With Central Park views and an art deco masterpiece of a lobby, the JW Marriott Essex House is a comfortable Midtown hotel that is full of character. The property's stately design is at its best in the elegant lobby, with inlaid marble floors and bas-relief elevator doors. Sizable rooms are art deco-inspired, with plush, modern furniture and marble bathrooms. Afternoon tea in the lobby lounge is a leisurely affair, a ritual that alludes to the rich history of this hotel that first opened its doors in 1931. Amenities, however, are completely contemporary, with a well-equipped fitness center and spa with saunas and steam rooms. The South Gate restaurant draws a European crowd with its design-conscious, comfortable interior and extensive wine list.
- Address: 160 Central Park S, between 6th and 7th Aves. Midtown West, New York, NY 10019 | Map It
- Phone: 212/247–0300; 800/937–8461
- Website: www.marriott.com
- Subway: F, N, R, Q to 57th St.
- Location: Midtown West
- 509 rooms, 117 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Hi! Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more