- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) Review
BAM presented its first show in 1861, making it the nation's first performing-arts center. Today it has a much-deserved reputation for the unusual and the unexpected, presented in grand-scale stagings. Contemporary dance, theater, music, opera, and cross-media productions mingle here with an array of classics. BAM has three primary performance spaces: the 2,090-seat Howard Gilman Opera House, inside a restored Renaissance Revival palace built in 1908; the 834-seat Harvey Theater, an updated 1904 theater a block away, at 651 Fulton Street; and the BAM Fisher, at 321 Ashland Place, which includes the 250-seat Fishman Space and the Hillman Studio. Every fall the Next Wave Festival fills the house with a global mix of renowned and up-and-coming artists. Every spring brings a top-notch roster of international theater (such as works performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company). Year-round you can catch a movie at the four-screen BAM Rose Cinemas, which screens classic films as well as first-run indies, documentaries, and international films. Or, hit the industrial-glam BAMcafé for the Eat, Drink & Be Literary series on select Wednesday nights, and free music on Friday and Saturday nights with the BAMcafé Live series.
- Address: Peter Jay Sharp Bldg., 30 Lafayette Ave., between Ashland Pl. and St. Felix St. Fort Greene, New York, NY 11217 | Map It
- Phone: 718/636–4100
- Website: www.bam.org
- Subway: 2, 3, 4, 5, B, D, N, Q, R to Atlantic Ave.–Barclays Ctr.; G to Fulton St.; C to Lafayette Ave. (2, 3, 4, 5 to Nevins St. for Harvey Theater).
- Location: Downtown Brooklyn
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Three of us (including theatre major college son) are headed to NYC at end of March for 4 nights. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more