- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) Review
BAM presented its first show in 1861, making it the nation's first performing-arts center. Today it has a much-deserved reputation for the unusual and the unexpected, presented in grand-scale stagings. Contemporary dance, theater, music, opera, and cross-media productions mingle here with an array of classics. BAM has three primary performance spaces: the 2,090-seat Howard Gilman Opera House, inside a restored Renaissance Revival palace built in 1908; the 834-seat Harvey Theater, an updated 1904 theater a block away, at 651 Fulton Street; and the BAM Fisher, at 321 Ashland Place, which includes the 250-seat Fishman Space and the Hillman Studio. Every fall the Next Wave Festival fills the house with a global mix of renowned and up-and-coming artists. Every spring brings a top-notch roster of international theater (such as works performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company). Year-round you can catch a movie at the four-screen BAM Rose Cinemas, which screens classic films as well as first-run indies, documentaries, and international films. Or, hit the industrial-glam BAMcafé for the Eat, Drink & Be Literary series on select Wednesday nights, and free music on Friday and Saturday nights with the BAMcafé Live series.
- Address: Peter Jay Sharp Bldg., 30 Lafayette Ave., between Ashland Pl. and St. Felix St. Fort Greene, New York, NY 11217 | Map It
- Phone: 718/636–4100
- Website: www.bam.org
- Subway: 2, 3, 4, 5, B, D, N, Q, R to Atlantic Ave.–Barclays Ctr.; G to Fulton St.; C to Lafayette Ave. (2, 3, 4, 5 to Nevins St. for Harvey Theater).
- Location: Downtown Brooklyn
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American winter. Read more
Planning a trip late June flying into Washington, DC, then driving to Philly, NY, and Boston (where we will fly home from). Read more
· News & Features
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more