- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Check Rates from our Partners
Library Hotel Manhattan Review
Bookishly handsome, this stately landmark brownstone, built in 1900, is inspired by the nearby New York Public Library—each of its 10 floors is dedicated to one of the 10 categories of the Dewey Decimal System and is stocked with art and books relevant to a subtopic such as erotica, astronomy, or biography—let your interests guide your choice. The staff is hospitable, and the whole property is old-leather-armchair comfortable, whether you're unwinding in front of the library fireplace, partaking in the complimentary wine and cheese or continental breakfast, or relaxing in the roof garden. The hotel has no gym but offers complimentary passes to a nearby New York Sports Club.
Literary types with sexy-librarian fantasies will be in heaven here. Rooms come stocked with rare books and enough amenities to keep you indoors, emerging only for complimentary wine and cheese in the evening. Brazen couples can request the "erotica" room, with its corresponding books. The Erotic and Cupid's Pink Romance packages will surely keep the fires stoked.
- Address: 299 Madison Ave., at E. 41st StreetMidtown East, New York, NY 10017 | Map It
- Phone: 212/983-4500; 212/983-4500
- Website: www.libraryhotel.com
- Subway: 4, 5, 6, 7, S to 42nd St./Grand Central.
- Location: Midtown East
- 52 rooms, 8 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $298-$335 -- NYC: Weekends at Stylish Midtown Hotel, 20% Off Sofitel New York
- $179 & up -- NYC Marriott Hotels thru August, 35% Off Marriott Hotels & Resorts
- $15.78 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $48.50 -- Percussive Troupe 'Stomp' in NYC, Reg. $78 'Stomp'
- $204-$228 -- NYC: Daily at 4-Star Hotel in Summer, 45% Off — $204-$228 InterContinental New York Barclay
A little history
Back in the day, (I say that because I’d rather not think of just how long it’s been) I was going to New York regularly for work. Read more
Warning - this is pretty long!
My sister (60, from Rhode Island) and I (56, from Florida) decided it would be fun to spend Memorial Day weekend in New York City, specifically in Manhattan. She had bee Read more
Me and my wife are planning to visit USA on August, and trying to build 8 days round trip from NY by car that will include Niagra Falls and Toronto.
We are looking for a nice combination o Read more
· News & Features
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime... Read more