- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Excelsior Hotel
At a Glance
- excellent neighborhoody Upper West Side location near Central Park
- near foodie mecca Zabar's and popular burger joint Shake Shack
- tranquil environment
- spotty front-desk staff
- rooms are inconsistent
- Wi-Fi is not free
Check Rates from our Partners
The Excelsior Hotel Review
Directly across the street from the American Museum of Natural History, this well-kept, old-school spot is comfortable but has occasionally inconsistent staff. Renovated rooms have warm lighting, comfortable beds, and work desks with ergonomic chairs. The hotel restaurant, Calle Ocho, is a Latin fusion spot that cooks up three meals a day and offers a cocktail list full of refreshing choices; the breakfast is especially good but pricey for the neighborhood. The library lounge, with leather sofas, a cozy fireplace, and tables with built-in game boards, is an unexpected plus. On the negative side is a staff that sometimes seems too busy to focus on customer service.
- Address: 45 W. 81st St., between Central Park W and Columbus Ave. Upper West Side, New York, NY 10024 | Map It
- Phone: 212/362-9200
- Website: www.excelsiorhotelny.com
- Subway: B, C to 81st St.
- Location: Upper West Side
- 118 rooms, 80 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Three of us (including theatre major college son) are headed to NYC at end of March for 4 nights. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more