- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Excelsior Hotel
At a Glance
- excellent neighborhoody Upper West Side location near Central Park
- near foodie mecca Zabar's and popular burger joint Shake Shack
- tranquil environment
- spotty front-desk staff
- rooms are inconsistent
- Wi-Fi is not free
Check Rates from our Partners
The Excelsior Hotel Review
Directly across the street from the American Museum of Natural History, this well-kept, old-school spot is comfortable but has occasionally inconsistent staff. Recently renovated rooms have warm lighting, comfortable beds, and work desks with ergonomic chairs. The hotel restaurant, Calle Ocho, is a Latin fusion spot that cooks up three meals a day and offers a cocktail list full of refreshing choices; the breakfast is especially good but pricey for the neighborhood. The library lounge, with leather sofas, a cozy fireplace, and tables with built-in game boards, is an unexpected plus. On the negative side is a staff that sometimes seems too busy to focus on customer service.
- Address: 45 W. 81st St., between Central Park W and Columbus Ave. Upper West Side, New York, NY 10024 | Map It
- Phone: 212/362 Ext. 9200
- Website: www.excelsiorhotelny.com
- Subway: B, C to 81st St.
- Location: Upper West Side
- 118 rooms, 80 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After a 13-year absence from New York City, my husband and I decided to revisit this special place from November 21-25, to celebrate his birthday in the city where he was born. Read more
After too many quick jaunts to NYC just to hit up some museum exhibitions at haunts we'd already visited a million times before, we finally went to two we'd not been to, and I thought them worthy of a recommendatio Read more
We have tickets to see Fun Home at the Public Theater in Mid January.
We generally stay on the UWS where I grew up but think it might be fun to stay downtown . Any hotel recs? Under $300 if possible.
We Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more