- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Excelsior Hotel
At a Glance
- excellent neighborhoody Upper West Side location near Central Park
- near foodie mecca Zabar's and popular burger joint Shake Shack
- tranquil environment
- spotty front-desk staff
- rooms are inconsistent
- Wi-Fi is not free
Check Rates from our Partners
The Excelsior Hotel Review
Directly across the street from the American Museum of Natural History, this well-kept, old-school spot is comfortable but has occasionally inconsistent staff. Renovated rooms have warm lighting, comfortable beds, and work desks with ergonomic chairs. The hotel restaurant, Calle Ocho, is a Latin fusion spot that cooks up three meals a day and offers a cocktail list full of refreshing choices; the breakfast is especially good but pricey for the neighborhood. The library lounge, with leather sofas, a cozy fireplace, and tables with built-in game boards, is an unexpected plus. On the negative side is a staff that sometimes seems too busy to focus on customer service.
- Address: 45 W. 81st St., between Central Park W and Columbus Ave. Upper West Side, New York, NY 10024 | Map It
- Phone: 212/362-9200
- Website: www.excelsiorhotelny.com
- Subway: B, C to 81st St.
- Location: Upper West Side
- 118 rooms, 80 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
DH and i had not been to a Broadway show in ages, so we thought we would extend our family visit in NJ with an overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows, a Tuesday evening and Wednesday matinee performance. Read more
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
has anyone dealt with Citysonnet.com before for booking self contained apartments?
I found them on About.com (http://gonyc.about.com/od/hotels/a/apartment_rent.htm) saying they are reputable Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more