- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Bronx Zoo
The Bronx Zoo Review
When it opened its gates in 1899, the Bronx Zoo had only 843 animals. But today, with 265 acres and more than 4,000 animals (of more than 600 species), it's the largest metropolitan zoo in the United States. Get up close and personal with exotic creatures in outdoor settings that re-create natural habitats; you're often separated from them by no more than a moat or wall of glass. Don't miss the Congo Gorilla Forest, a 6.5-acre re-creation of a lush African rain forest with two troops of lowland gorillas, as well as white-bearded DeBrazza's monkeys, okapis, and red river hogs. At Tiger Mountain an open viewing shelter lets you get incredibly close to Siberian tigers, who frolic in a pool, lounge outside (even in cold weather), and enjoy daily "enrichment sessions" with keepers. As the big cats are often napping at midday, aim to visit in the morning or evening. In the new $62 million exhibit Madagascar!, the formality of the old Lion House has been replaced with a verdant re-creation of one of the most threatened natural habitats in the world. Here you'll see adorable lemurs and far-from-adorable hissing cockroaches.
Go on a minisafari via the Wild Asia Monorail, open May-October, weather permitting. As you wend your way through the forest, see Asian elephants, Indo-Chinese tigers, Indian rhinoceroses, gaur (the world's largest cattle), Mongolian wild horses, and several deer and antelope species. Try to visit the most popular exhibits, such as Congo Gorilla Forest, early to avoid lines later in the day. In winter the outdoor exhibitions have fewer animals on view, but there are also fewer crowds, and plenty of indoor exhibits to savor. Also note that there is an extra charge for some exhibits. If you want to see everything, you'll save money by purchasing the Total Experience ticket.
- Address: 2300 Southern Blvd., near E. 187 St., Bronx, New York, NY, 10460 | Map It
- Phone: 718/367-1010
- Cost: General admission: $16.95, extra charge for some exhibits. Total Experience: $20.95--$29.95. Entrance every Wed. is free (suggested donation of $16). Parking: $15 weekdays, $16 weekends
- Hours: Apr.--Oct., weekdays 10--5, weekends 10--5:30; Nov.--Mar., daily 10--4:30; last ticket sold 30 mins before closing
- Website: www.bronxzoo.com
- Subway: 2, 5 to E. Tremont/West Farms, then walk 2 blocks up Boston Rd. to zoo's Asia entrance; Bx11 express bus to Bronx River entrance.
- Location: The Bronx
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $20.95 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $38.50 -- Percussive Troupe 'Stomp' in NYC, Reg. $78 'Stomp'
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
so i'm going to NYC in june and i'm coming in through penn station and going to be going to 373 fifth avenue around 3 pm and i was wondering how hard it would be to get a cab to the hotel from penn station. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason. ... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more