- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- in the heart of downtown
- great views from suites
- hip rooftop bar and pool
- occasionally snobby staff
- rooms stylish but dark
Check Rates from our Partners
Thompson LES Review
With its smoked glass tower and central location, the Thompson LES is a great embodiment of the neighborhood inhabitants: hip, but friendly when you get to know it. The two-story lobby, dominated by a hanging black-and-white curtain made of glass, bustles with Europeans, musicians, and others with carefully crafted hair (that includes the too-cool-for-school staff). Rooms are stark, black-and-white affairs, with low platform beds whose headboards are light boxes displaying works by the photographer Lee Friedlander. The desk space can be cramped, and although the windows are big, come nighttime rooms can feel oppressively dark. Bathrooms are brighter, and have rainfall showerheads. Suites, on the building's corners, have balconies with sweeping views of both downtown and Midtown—some of the best in the city. The neighborhood is a nexus for nightlife, especially on the weekends, and the hotel's rooftop bar and pool is ideal for kicking off the night.
- Address: 190 Allen St., between Houston and Stanton Sts. Lower East Side, New York, NY 10002 | Map It
- Phone: 212/460–5300
- Website: www.thompsonhotels.com
- Subway: F, J, M, Z to Delancey/Essex Sts.
- Location: Lower East Side
- 124 rooms, 17 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After a 13-year absence from New York City, my husband and I decided to revisit this special place from November 21-25, to celebrate his birthday in the city where he was born. Read more
After too many quick jaunts to NYC just to hit up some museum exhibitions at haunts we'd already visited a million times before, we finally went to two we'd not been to, and I thought them worthy of a recommendatio Read more
A friend and I will be taking the metro north into NYC Jan 2014 on a Sat. Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more