- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- in the heart of downtown
- great views from suites
- hip rooftop bar and pool
- occasionally snobby staff
- rooms stylish but dark
Check Rates from our Partners
Thompson LES Review
With its smoked glass tower and central location, the Thompson LES is a great embodiment of the neighborhood inhabitants: hip, but friendly when you get to know it. The two-story lobby, dominated by a hanging black-and-white curtain made of glass, bustles with Europeans, musicians, and others with carefully crafted hair (that includes the too-cool-for-school staff). Rooms are stark, black-and-white affairs, with low platform beds whose headboards are light boxes displaying works by the photographer Lee Friedlander. The desk space can be cramped, and although the windows are big, come nighttime rooms can feel oppressively dark. Bathrooms are brighter, and have rainfall showerheads. Suites, on the building's corners, have balconies with sweeping views of both downtown and Midtown—some of the best in the city. The neighborhood is a nexus for nightlife, especially on the weekends, and the hotel's rooftop bar and pool is ideal for kicking off the night.
- Address: 190 Allen St., between Houston and Stanton Sts., Lower East Side, New York, NY, 10002 | Map It
- Phone: 212/460-5300
- Website: www.thompsonhotels.com
- Subway: F, J, M, Z to Delancey/Essex Sts.
- Location: Lower East Side
- 124 rooms, 17 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $17.79 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We had a lot of discussion of Air BnB at times in these forums, particularly as it relates to New York City, where sublets of less than 30 days are illegal. Read more
· News & Features
Wineries have a very obvious main draw. ... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more
It happens all the time: you're just stopping in to grab one thing and the next thing you know, you've... Read more