Bouley alumnus George Mendes's popular restaurant relies on his Portuguese heritage as inspiration and rises to new heights. Although there are no bad seats in this sleek bilevel space decorated with touches of wood, glass, and blue accents, watching Mendes work in his spotless tiled kitchen from one of the seats at the chef's counter in the back is undeniably exciting. Petiscos (small bites) like cubes of crisp pork belly with apple cider reveal sophisticated cooking techniques and flavors. A delicate matsutake mushroom broth floated with a slow-poached egg is edged with a subtle brace of pine while sea-salted cod is subtle with a deep flavor strata that will leave your palate satisfied long after the meal is over.
- Address: 31 W. 17th St., between 5th and 6th Aves., Flatiron District, New York, NY, 10011 | Map It
- Phone: 212/675–7223
- Website: www.aldearestaurant.com
- Subway: N, R, Q, 4, 5, 6 to 14th St./Union Sq.; F, M to 14th St. and 6th Ave
- Location: Flatiron District
- Reservations essential
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Sun. No lunch Sat.
View deals in New York City for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More