- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The High Line
The High Line Review
Once a railroad track carrying freight trains, this elevated space has been transformed into a green retreat in the spirit of Paris's Promenade Plantée and is one of the most visited parks in the city. A long "walking park" with benches, public art installations, and views of the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline, the High Line runs north-south, crisscrossing 9th, 10th, and 11th avenues in West Chelsea along the way. Reclining chaise longues and strategically situated benches are perfect for a picnic lunch (Chelsea Market is a convenient place to pick up fixings). The first section of the High Line, between Gansevoort and West 20th streets, opened in 2009 and was immediately the talk of the town. The second section of the park, up to West 30th Street, opened in 2011, doubling the length of the walkway. The final section of the park, currently under construction, runs between West 30th and West 34th streets, wrapping around the Hudson Yards Redevelopment Project. Plans include a performance space, a kids' playspace, picnic areas, and panoramic views of the cityscape and Hudson River. Construction will be completed in three phases over the next several years, with the first phase opening in fall 2014.
- Address: 10th Ave., from Gansevoort St. to 30th St. Chelsea, New York, NY 10011 | Map It
- Phone: 212/206–9922
- Hours: Open daily 7 am–7 pm
- Website: www.thehighline.org
- Subway: L to 8th Ave.; 1 to 14th St., 23rd St., or 28th St.; 2 and 3 to 14th St.; A, C, E to 14th St.
- Location: Chelsea
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
DH and i had not been to a Broadway show in ages, so we thought we would extend our family visit in NJ with an overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows, a Tuesday evening and Wednesday matinee performance. Read more
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
I'm currently in NYC and I just got the best transportation deal.I got a tour of NYC with a personal driver for a very inexpensive price.The driver was very knowledgeable and polite.If you are interested Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more