- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- historic Art Deco building filled with NYC's aristocratic, gangster, and jazz histories
- best Waldorf salad in town
- knowledgeable doormen
- rooms not up-to-date
- more about the name than the experience
- in-hotel Starbucks costs twice as much as ones around the corner
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
The Waldorf is undeniably historic, and presidents usually stay here thanks to the security of the drive-in entrance, but we'd recommend having a cocktail at the classic Bull and Bear Bar downstairs rather than spending the night in one of the small standard rooms, which top out at a tight 250 square feet and can feel a bit oppressive with their extensive floral patterns. The lobby of this landmark 1931 Art Deco masterpiece, full of murals, mosaics, and elaborate plaster ornamentation, features a grand piano once owned by Cole Porter and is still played daily. The pricier and more luxurious Waldorf Towers (the 28th floor and above) has a separate entrance and management. The Waldorf is famous for its former residents; besides Porter, these have included Herbert Hoover and Nikola Tesla. The Guerlain Spa is a perk.
- Address: 301 Park Ave., between E. 49th and E. 50th Sts., Midtown East, New York, NY, 10022 | Map It
- Phone: 212/355-3000; 800/925-3673
- Website: www.waldorfastoria.com
- Subway: 6 to 51st St./Lexington Ave.; E, M to Lexington--3rd Aves./53rd St.
- Location: Midtown East
- 1,183 rooms, 230 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- NYC: Weekends at Times Square Hotel, 40% Off The Milford NYC
- $175-$199 -- NYC: Hotel near Times Square incl. Holidays Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
- $1099 & up -- 7-Night Transatlantic Cruise, UK to NYC American Express Travel
- $20.95 & up -- Car Rentals across New York CarRentals.com
- $38.50 -- Percussive Troupe 'Stomp' in NYC, Reg. $78 'Stomp'
First off, a big thank you to everyone for the help and advice, it was so appreciated! Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
I'm flying into JFK on May 24 to spend Memorial Day weekend playing tourist with my sister. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more