- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- historic Art Deco building filled with NYC's aristocratic, gangster, and jazz histories
- best Waldorf salad in town
- knowledgeable doormen
- rooms not up-to-date
- more about the name than the experience
- in-hotel Starbucks costs twice as much as ones around the corner
Check Rates from our Partners
The Waldorf is undeniably historic, and presidents usually stay here thanks to the security of the drive-in entrance, but we'd recommend having a cocktail at the classic Bull and Bear Bar downstairs rather than spending the night in one of the small standard rooms, which top out at a tight 250 square feet and can feel a bit oppressive with their extensive floral patterns. The lobby of this landmark 1931 Art Deco masterpiece, full of murals, mosaics, and elaborate plaster ornamentation, features a grand piano once owned by Cole Porter and is still played daily. The pricier and more luxurious Waldorf Towers (the 28th floor and above) has a separate entrance and management. The Waldorf is famous for its former residents; besides Porter, these have included Herbert Hoover and Nikola Tesla. The Guerlain Spa is a perk.
- Address: 301 Park Ave., between E. 49th and E. 50th Sts. Midtown East, New York, NY 10022 | Map It
- Phone: 212/355–3000; 800/925–3673
- Website: www.waldorfastoria.com
- Subway: 6 to 51st St./Lexington Ave.; E, M to Lexington–3rd Aves./53rd St.
- Location: Midtown East
- 1,183 rooms, 230 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After a 13-year absence from New York City, my husband and I decided to revisit this special place from November 21-25, to celebrate his birthday in the city where he was born. Read more
After too many quick jaunts to NYC just to hit up some museum exhibitions at haunts we'd already visited a million times before, we finally went to two we'd not been to, and I thought them worthy of a recommendatio Read more
We have tickets to see Fun Home at the Public Theater in Mid January.
We generally stay on the UWS where I grew up but think it might be fun to stay downtown . Any hotel recs? Under $300 if possible.
We Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more