- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Hôtel Plaza Athénée
At a Glance
- discerning service
- fabulous hotel bar
- lobby can feel dark
- Wi-Fi costs extra
Check Rates from our Partners
Hôtel Plaza Athénée Review
Positioned unobtrusively by Central Park on the Upper East Side, the Plaza Athénée (now related in name only to its Parisian cousin) makes stellar service a priority, with a personal sit-down check-in off to the side of the lobby, and extravagant in-room dining service with an old-world feel: white tablecloths, candles, and flowers are part of the deal. Rooms have big bathrooms and refined, if nondescript, furnishings and linens. The hotel may seem stuffy to younger visitors but to others it's a welcome dose of old-school luxury. Bar Seine is a fabulously dark and secretive hideaway, and surely the only bar in New York with a floor made of leather. Arabelle is a much-touted, if not particularly well-loved restaurant in need of a menu face-lift or celeb-chef infusion.
- Address: 37 E. 64th St., at Madison Ave. Upper East Side, New York, NY 10065 | Map It
- Phone: 212/734–9100; 212/606–4600
- Website: www.plaza-athenee.com
- Subway: 6 to 68th St./Hunter College.
- Location: Upper East Side
- 117 rooms, 25 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American winter. Read more
Hi We're visiting New York from Australia for the first time in June 2014 and we need advice as to where to stay. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more