- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
American Folk Art Museum
American Folk Art Museum Review
After a near death, or rather, near debt experience in late 2011, the American Folk Art Museum left its home of 10 years on 53rd Street, adjacent to the MoMA, and returned to its humble rental near Lincoln Center. Here, minus the distractions of an artsy facade and celebrity neighbor, the focus returns to its incredible collection of contemporary self-taught artists of the 20th and 21st centuries, including the single largest collection of reclusive Chicago artist Henry Darger, known for his painstakingly detailed collage paintings of fantasy worlds. Recent exhibitions have included Folk Couture: Fashion and Folk Art, which featured the work of 13 established and emerging designers who created an original ensemble based on a selection of paintings, sculptures, photographs, quilts, and furniture chosen from the museum’s collection. The museum's gift shop has an impressive collection of handcrafted items.
- Address: 2 Lincoln Sq., Columbus Ave. at 66th St. Upper West Side, New York, NY 10023 | Map It
- Phone: 212/595–9533
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Tues.–Sat. noon–7:30, Sun. noon–6
- Website: www.folkartmuseum.org
- Subway: 1 to 66th St./Lincoln Center; A, B, C, D to 59th St./Columbus Circle.
- Location: Upper West Side
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
DH and i had not been to a Broadway show in ages, so we thought we would extend our family visit in NJ with an overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows, a Tuesday evening and Wednesday matinee performance. Read more
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
has anyone dealt with Citysonnet.com before for booking self contained apartments?
I found them on About.com (http://gonyc.about.com/od/hotels/a/apartment_rent.htm) saying they are reputable Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more