- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Historic Richmond Town
Historic Richmond Town Review
Think of Virginia's Colonial Williamsburg (the polar opposite of Brooklyn's scene-y Williamsburg), and you'll understand the appeal of Richmond Town. This 100-acre village, constructed from 1695 to the 19th century, was the site of Staten Island's original county seat. Fifteen of the site's 27 historic buildings are open to the public. Highlights include the Gothic Revival Courthouse, the one-room General Store, and the Voorlezer's House, one of the oldest buildings on the site. It served as a residence, a place of worship, and an elementary school. Also on-site is the Staten Island Historical Society Museum, built in 1848 as the second county clerk's and surrogate's office, which now houses Staten Island artifacts plus changing exhibits about the island. Audio tours are free with admission.
You may see staff in period dress demonstrate Early American crafts and trades such as tinsmithing or basket making, though the general era meant to be re-created is 1820–1860. December brings a monthlong Christmas celebration. Take the S74–Richmond Road bus (30 minutes) or a car service (about $15) from the ferry terminal.
- Address: 441 Clarke Ave., Richmondtown, Staten Island, NY 10306 | Map It
- Phone: 718/351–1611
- Cost: $8
- Hours: Year–round Wed.–Sun. 1–5; guided tours Wed.–Fri. 2:30, weekends 2 and 3:30
- Website: www.historicrichmondtown.org
- Subway: S74 bus to St. Patrick's Pl.
- Location: Staten Island
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After a 13-year absence from New York City, my husband and I decided to revisit this special place from November 21-25, to celebrate his birthday in the city where he was born. Read more
After too many quick jaunts to NYC just to hit up some museum exhibitions at haunts we'd already visited a million times before, we finally went to two we'd not been to, and I thought them worthy of a recommendatio Read more
We have tickets to see Fun Home at the Public Theater in Mid January.
We generally stay on the UWS where I grew up but think it might be fun to stay downtown . Any hotel recs? Under $300 if possible.
We Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more