- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Historic Richmond Town
Historic Richmond Town Review
Think of Virginia's Colonial Williamsburg (the polar opposite of Brooklyn's scene-y Williamsburg), and you'll understand the appeal of Richmond Town. This 100-acre village, constructed from 1695 to the 19th century, was the site of Staten Island's original county seat. Fifteen of the site's 27 historic buildings are open to the public. Highlights include the Gothic Revival Courthouse, the one-room General Store, and the Voorlezer's House, one of the oldest buildings on the site. It served as a residence, a place of worship, and an elementary school. Also on-site is the Staten Island Historical Society Museum, built in 1848 as the second county clerk's and surrogate's office, which now houses Staten Island artifacts plus changing exhibits about the island. Audio tours are free with admission.
You may see staff in period dress demonstrate Early American crafts and trades such as tinsmithing or basket making, though the general era meant to be re-created is 1820–1860. December brings a monthlong Christmas celebration. Take the S74–Richmond Road bus (30 minutes) or a car service (about $15) from the ferry terminal.
- Address: 441 Clarke Ave., Richmondtown, Staten Island, NY 10306 | Map It
- Phone: 718/351–1611
- Cost: $8 (Free on Fri.)
- Hours: Year–round Wed.–Sun. 1–5; guided tours Wed.–Fri. 2:30, weekends 2 and 3:30
- Website: www.historicrichmondtown.org
- Subway: S74 bus to St. Patrick's Pl.
- Location: Staten Island
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Hi! Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more