- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Wave Hill Review
Drawn by stunning views of the Hudson River and New Jersey's dramatic cliffs, 19th-century Manhattan millionaires built summer homes in the Bronx suburb of Riverdale. One of the most magnificent, Wave Hill, is now a 28-acre public garden and cultural center that attracts green thumbs from all over the world. Along with exquisite gardens, grand beech and oak trees adorn wide lawns, an elegant pergola overlooks the majestic river view, and benches on curving pathways provide quiet respite. Wave Hill House (1843) and Glyndor House (1927) are now home to art exhibitions, Sunday concerts, and gardening workshops. Even England's Queen Mother stayed here during a visit. It's worth the schlep.
- Address: Independence Ave., at W. 249th St., Bronx, NY 10471 | Map It
- Phone: 718/549–3200
- Cost: $8; free Sat. 9–noon and some Tues. (check website)
- Hours: Mid-Mar.–Oct., Tues.–Sun. 9–5:30; Nov.–mid-Mar., Tues.–Sun. 9–4:30; closed Mon. except holidays. Free garden tours Sun. at 2
- Website: www.wavehill.org
- Subway: 1 to W. 242nd St. (free hourly shuttle service between 9:10 am and 3:10 pm); 1 to 231st St., then Bx7 or Bx10 bus to 252nd St. and Riverdale Ave.; A to W. 207th St., then Bx7 or Bx20 bus to W. 252nd St.; Metro-North Railroad to Riverdale (free hourly shuttle service between 9:45 am and 3:45 pm).
- Location: The Bronx
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
DH and i had not been to a Broadway show in ages, so we thought we would extend our family visit in NJ with an overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows, a Tuesday evening and Wednesday matinee performance. Read more
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
I'm currently in NYC and I just got the best transportation deal.I got a tour of NYC with a personal driver for a very inexpensive price.The driver was very knowledgeable and polite.If you are interested Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more