- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Wave Hill Review
Drawn by stunning views of the Hudson River and New Jersey's dramatic cliffs, 19th-century Manhattan millionaires built summer homes in the Bronx suburb of Riverdale. One of the most magnificent, Wave Hill, is now a 28-acre public garden and cultural center that attracts green thumbs from all over the world. Along with exquisite gardens, grand beech and oak trees adorn wide lawns, an elegant pergola overlooks the majestic river view, and benches on curving pathways provide quiet respite. Wave Hill House (1843) and Glyndor House (1927) are now home to art exhibitions, Sunday concerts, and gardening workshops. Even England's Queen Mother stayed here during a visit. It's worth the schlep.
- Address: Independence Ave., at W. 249th St., Bronx, NY 10471 | Map It
- Phone: 718/549–3200
- Cost: $8; free Sat. 9–noon and some Tues. (check website)
- Hours: Mid-Mar.–Oct., Tues.–Sun. 9–5:30; Nov.–mid-Mar., Tues.–Sun. 9–4:30; closed Mon. except holidays. Free garden tours Sun. at 2
- Website: www.wavehill.org
- Subway: 1 to W. 242nd St. (free hourly shuttle service between 9:10 am and 3:10 pm); 1 to 231st St., then Bx7 or Bx10 bus to 252nd St. and Riverdale Ave.; A to W. 207th St., then Bx7 or Bx20 bus to W. 252nd St.; Metro-North Railroad to Riverdale (free hourly shuttle service between 9:45 am and 3:45 pm).
- Location: The Bronx
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Looking to visit the NE section of the US this summer with our teen daughters & need advice on how to plan.
We're hoping to spend 3-4 days in Boston, NYC, & Washington DC while spending a few days Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more