- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Garden
Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Garden Review
Once part of a sprawling farm, this 83-acre community is now a popular spot to see maritime art, frolic in the Children's Museum (statenislandkids.org), or take a stroll through lush gardens.
Made up of 28 mostly restored historic buildings, Snug Harbor's center is a row of mid-19th-century Greek Revival temples. Main Hall—the oldest building on the property—is home to the Eleanor Proske Visitors Center ($5, including Newhouse Center), which has exhibits on art and Snug Harbor's history. The adjacent Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art (718/425–3524, $5, including visitor center) shows multidisciplinary videos, mixed media, and performances. Next door at the Noble Maritime Collection (718/447–6490 www.noblemaritime.org, entrance by donation) an old seamen's dormitory is now a museum of ocean-inspired artwork.
From the Staten Island Ferry terminal, take the S40 bus 2 miles (about seven minutes) to the Snug Harbor Road stop. Or grab a car service at the ferry terminal. (The ride should cost you $5–$8.)
- Address: 1000 Richmond Terr., between Snug Harbor Rd. and Tyson Ave. Randall Manor, Staten Island, NY 10301 | Map It
- Phone: 718/448–2500
- Cost: Free for grounds and gardens; $5 for New York Chinese Scholar's Garden; $5 for art galleries; Garden and gallery combo ticket, $8; $6 for children's museum
- Hours: Grounds dawn–dusk daily except major holidays. Botanical Gardens Tues.–Sun. 10–5. Visitor center and galleries Wed.–Sun. noon–5. Noble Maritime Thurs.–Sun. 1–5 or by appt. Children's Museum noon–5 school days, 10–5 weekends and holidays. Check website for more info.
- Website: www.snug-harbor.org
- Location: Staten Island
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Hi! Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more