- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Brooklyn Museum Review
Although it may be overshadowed by the big name museums in Manhattan, the Brooklyn Museum, with more than 1 million pieces in its permanent collection—from Rodin sculptures to Andean textiles and Assyrian wall reliefs—and a roster of consistently popular shows and neighborhood events, is a worthwhile and relatively peaceful museum-going experience.
Along with changing exhibitions, highlights include one of the best collections of Egyptian art in the world and impressive collections of African, pre-Columbian, and Native American art. It's also worth seeking out the museum's works by Georgia O'Keeffe, Winslow Homer, John Singer Sargent, George Bellows, Thomas Eakins, and Milton Avery—all stunners. The Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art hosts traveling exhibits in addition to serving as the permanent home to Judy Chicago's installation The Dinner Party (1974–79). On the first Saturday of each month (except September) the museum throws an extremely popular free evening of art, music, dancing, film screenings, and readings, from 5 to 11 pm. There are several cash bars.
- Address: 200 Eastern Pkwy., at Washington Ave. Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, NY 11238 | Map It
- Phone: 718/638–5000
- Cost: $12 suggested donation. Free, 1st Sat. of month, 5–11. Combo ticket with Brooklyn Botanic Garden $20
- Hours: Wed., Fri., Sat., 11–6, Thurs. 11–10; 1st Sat. of month 11–11
- Website: www.brooklynmuseum.org
- Subway: 2, 3 to Eastern Pkwy./Brooklyn Museum.
- Location: Park Slope and Prospect Heights
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After a 13-year absence from New York City, my husband and I decided to revisit this special place from November 21-25, to celebrate his birthday in the city where he was born. Read more
After too many quick jaunts to NYC just to hit up some museum exhibitions at haunts we'd already visited a million times before, we finally went to two we'd not been to, and I thought them worthy of a recommendatio Read more
As a Christmas present, I'm going to take my daughter to NYC for four days in mid-February. Read more
· News & Features
Even while reveling in holiday festivities, it's easy to be overtaken by the stress of finding perfec ... Read more
Author Wes Davis, a former excavations assistant at Kavousi in Eastern Crete, recounts his archaeological... Read more
Cruisers with a taste for dancing take note—you can compete aboard Holland America sailings to wi... Read more