- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Brooklyn Museum Review
Although it may be overshadowed by the big name museums in Manhattan, the Brooklyn Museum, with more than 1 million pieces in its permanent collection—from Rodin sculptures to Andean textiles and Assyrian wall reliefs—and a roster of consistently popular shows and neighborhood events, is a worthwhile and relatively peaceful museum-going experience.
Along with changing exhibitions, highlights include one of the best collections of Egyptian art in the world and impressive collections of African, pre-Columbian, and Native American art. It's also worth seeking out the museum's works by Georgia O'Keeffe, Winslow Homer, John Singer Sargent, George Bellows, Thomas Eakins, and Milton Avery—all stunners. The Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art hosts traveling exhibits in addition to serving as the permanent home to Judy Chicago's installation The Dinner Party (1974–79). On the first Saturday of each month (except September) the museum throws an extremely popular free evening of art, music, dancing, film screenings, and readings, from 5 to 11 pm. There are several cash bars.
- Address: 200 Eastern Pkwy., at Washington Ave. Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY 11238 | Map It
- Phone: 718/638–5000
- Cost: $12 suggested donation. Free, 1st Sat. of month, 5–11. Combo ticket with Brooklyn Botanic Garden $20
- Hours: Wed., Fri., Sat., and Sun.,11–6, Thurs. 11–10; 1st Sat. of month 11–11
- Website: www.brooklynmuseum.org
- Subway: 2, 3 to Eastern Pkwy./Brooklyn Museum.
- Location: Park Slope and Prospect Heights
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
DH and i had not been to a Broadway show in ages, so we thought we would extend our family visit in NJ with an overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows, a Tuesday evening and Wednesday matinee performance. Read more
Thanks to the Fodor community for helping us plan our recent trip to New York City. Read more
has anyone dealt with Citysonnet.com before for booking self contained apartments?
I found them on About.com (http://gonyc.about.com/od/hotels/a/apartment_rent.htm) saying they are reputable Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more