Basketball in New York City
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The New York Knicks arouse intense hometown passions, which means tickets for home games at Madison Square Garden are hard to come by. At this writing, the New Jersey Nets are scheduled to become the Brooklyn Nets in September 2012; they'll move from their home at the Meadowlands in the Izod Center to Barclays Center of Brooklyn. The men's basketball season runs from late October through April. Try StubHub to score tickets. The New York Liberty, a member of the Women's NBA, had its first season in 1997; some of the team's more high-profile players are already legendary. The season runs from mid-May through August, with home games played at Madison Square Garden.
If the professional games are sold out, try to attend a college game where New York stalwarts Fordham, Hofstra, and St. John's compete against national top 25 teams during invitational tournaments.
Brooklyn Nets (Barclays Center, 620 Atlantic Ave., at Flatbush Ave., Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, NY, 11217. 201/935–3900 box office; 800/765–6387. www.nba.com/nets. Subway: 2, 3, 4, 5, B, D, N, Q, R to Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center.)
Madison Square Garden (4 Pennsylvania Plaza, near W. 32nd St. and 6th Ave., New York, NY, 10001. 212/465–6741. www.msg.com. Subway: 1, 2, 3 to 34th St.–Penn Station.)
New York Knicks (New York, NY. 212/465–5867. www.nba.com/knicks.)
New York Liberty (New York, NY. 212/465–6766 tickets; 212/564–9622 fan hotline. www.wnba.com/liberty.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe