- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Atlantis Explorer Environmental Boat Tours organizes two-hour boat tours ($17) down the Peconic River, during which naturalists explain the geological history of the Peconic Estuary system and discuss local flora and fauna. There's also a shoreline walking tour. The tours, run by the Cornell Cooperative Extension Marine Program, are offered twice daily April through September.
From April through October, you may take a 2½-hour tour from Greenport around Long Island Sound aboard the Mary E., a 1906 schooner, for $20–$25.
Nautical Cruise Lines offers dinner cruises (starting at $65 per person) year-round on the 100-foot Nautical Princess, a tri-level yacht, and the 85-foot Nautical Belle, an old-style paddle wheeler. Specialty cruises include magic shows, brunches, and seal watching.
Boat Tours Information
Atlantis Explorer Environmental Boat Tours. 431 E. Main St., Riverhead, NY, 11901. 631/208-9200. www.atlantismarineworld.com.
Mary E. Preston's Dock, Main St., Greenport, NY, 11944. 631/477-8966. themarye.netfirms.com.
Nautical Cruise Lines. 395 Woodcleft Ave., Freeport, NY, 11520. 516/623-5712. www.nauticalcruiselines.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe