- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Carless Manhattan residents board the Hampton Jitney bus on Friday afternoons to the North or South shore. Drinks, snacks, and newspapers are available during the two- to three-hour trip. The jitney picks up passengers along 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, and drops off at more than 20 different towns on the South and North forks, as well as making a stop in Fresh Meadows, Queens (the "Airport Connection" stop: a 30-minute cab ride from JFK Airport, and 20-minute cab ride from LaGuardia). The round-trip Hampton Jitney fare is $53. Those who want roomier, plusher seats and extra pampering can splurge for a ride on the Hampton Jitney's Ambassador Service bus for $63 round-trip.
The Hampton Luxury Liner links Manhattan with North and South Fork towns and offers connections to MacArthur Airport. Fares are $26-$38 one way. Reservations are required for all trips.
Long Island Bus, part of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, travels throughout Nassau County and western Suffolk County, stopping at nearly 50 Long Island Rail Road stations. From late May through August, the LIRR offers special train-bus packages to Jones Beach State Park.
Hampton Jitney. 631/283-4600 or. www.hamptonjitney.com.
Hampton Luxury Liner. 631/537-5800. www.hamptonluxuryliner.com.
Long Island Bus. 516/228-4000 weekdays 7-5. www.mta.nyc.ny.us.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $94.28 & up : Midsize rentals in East Hampton Hotwire
- $108.56 & up : Full Size rentals in East Hampton — $109 Hotwire