- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Carless Manhattan residents board the Hampton Jitney bus on Friday afternoons to the North or South shore. Drinks, snacks, and newspapers are available during the two- to three-hour trip. The jitney picks up passengers along 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, and drops off at more than 20 different towns on the South and North forks, as well as making a stop in Fresh Meadows, Queens (the "Airport Connection" stop: a 30-minute cab ride from JFK Airport, and 20-minute cab ride from LaGuardia). The round-trip Hampton Jitney fare is $53. Those who want roomier, plusher seats and extra pampering can splurge for a ride on the Hampton Jitney's Ambassador Service bus for $63 round-trip.
The Hampton Luxury Liner links Manhattan with North and South Fork towns and offers connections to MacArthur Airport. Fares are $26-$38 one way. Reservations are required for all trips.
Long Island Bus, part of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, travels throughout Nassau County and western Suffolk County, stopping at nearly 50 Long Island Rail Road stations. From late May through August, the LIRR offers special train-bus packages to Jones Beach State Park.
Hampton Jitney. 631/283-4600 or. www.hamptonjitney.com.
Hampton Luxury Liner. 631/537-5800. www.hamptonluxuryliner.com.
Long Island Bus. 516/228-4000 weekdays 7-5. www.mta.nyc.ny.us.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's