Keeping history alive and thriving in East Hampton, the society operates several local museums near stately Main Street. The society's headquarters are in the circa-1740 Osborn-Jackson House, a period museum. The 1784 Clinton Academy (tours scheduled upon request) was the town's first preparatory academy for young men and women. Dating from approximately 1731, Town House is the only remaining town government building from colonial times. It's also the oldest surviving one-room schoolhouse on Long Island. The circa-1680 Mulford Farm, complete with a farmhouse and barn, hosts several wonderful programs each year, including a Colonial Kids Club, A Day in 1776, and various colonial reenactments. Each year the farm plants Rachel's Garden with heirloom flowers and vegetables. The Marine Museum has three floors of exhibits devoted to East Hampton maritime history, including the eerie Shipwreck Hall. The tiny and elegantly restored Hook Schoolhouse, a Georgian frame building, has been moved around the village since its construction almost two and a quarter centuries ago. It was saved from destruction by the society and now sits behind town hall. Call the society or visit the website for a complete list of activities at all the sites.
Osborn-Jackson House, 101 Main St., East Hampton, New York, 11937, United States