- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Southampton Chamber of Commerce. 72 Main St., Southampton, NY, 11968. 631/283-0402. www.southamptonchamber.com.
The rich and famous have been drawn to the Hamptons since the 1800s, even before the Long Island Rail Road line made a day trip doable for sun seekers. The LIRR's "Hit the Sunrise Trail" campaign of the 1920s lured tourists with cheap and speedy travel to visit the emerging resort towns. In the 1970s, Truman Capote, Mick Jagger, and Andy Warhol made the area their summer retreat. Today, it is hard to find a Manhattan-based celebrity without a second home on Long Island's East End. Tourists do double-takes. Is that Paul McCartney looking for a snack in Amagansett? Billy Joel riding a Harley?
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe