- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The waters around Shelter Island are perfect for kayaking. If you set out on a kayak you have the option of exploring on your own or taking a guided tour. The Mashomack Nature Preserve, rich with birdlife and other animals, is a favorite kayaking destination. A solo kayak from Shelter Island Kayak Tours rents for about $30 for two hours for single kayaks and $50 for double kayaks; tours are $60. Rte. 114 at Duval Rd., Shelter Island, NY, 11964. 631/749-1990. www.kayaksi.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe