- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Crescent Beach. The bay beach, a long sandy strip across the street from the trendy Sunset Beach restaurant, faces northeast and is especially popular at sunset. It has picnic tables and restrooms. Island lodging properties have parking permits for guests; otherwise, contact the town clerk to get one. Shore Rd. off W. Neck Rd., Shelter Island, NY, 11964. 631/749–1166. Weekly parking $35 (Memorial Day–Labor Day).
Wades Beach. The shallow, sandy beach, on the island's south side, has picnic tables, restrooms, and a lifeguard. Locals comb the beach's salt-marsh area for clams and crab. Island lodging properties have parking permits for guests, or contact the town clerk for one. Heron La. off Shorewood Rd., Shelter Island, NY, 11964. 631/749–1166. Weekly parking $35 (Memorial Day–Labor Day).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's