- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
If you want to surf in Montauk, head for Ditch Plains. It's an insider's spot, but the locals welcome newcomers who have a modicum of surfing etiquette. You can grab a wrap sandwich or an iced coffee at Lily's Ditch Witch wagon. You need a town parking permit or temporary beach sticker to park here. Take Montauk Highway east through town, make a right on Ditch Plains Road, and follow it to the beach. Ditch Plains Rd., Montauk, NY, 11954.
The Air and Speed Board Shop offers group and private surfing lessons. The shop also sells surfing, snowboarding, and skateboarding equipment, plus the latest in clothing and accessories. 795 Main St., Montauk, NY, 11954. 631/668-0356.
Plaza Sports sells surfing equipment as well as biking paraphernalia, surfing and swimming gear, and beach sportswear. 716 Main St., Montauk, NY, 11954. 631/668-9300.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $108.56 & up : Full Size rentals in East Hampton Hotwire
- $94.28 & up : Midsize rentals in East Hampton — $95 Hotwire