- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
If you want to surf in Montauk, head for Ditch Plains. It's an insider's spot, but the locals welcome newcomers who have a modicum of surfing etiquette. You can grab a wrap sandwich or an iced coffee at Lily's Ditch Witch wagon. You need a town parking permit or temporary beach sticker to park here. Take Montauk Highway east through town, make a right on Ditch Plains Road, and follow it to the beach. Ditch Plains Rd., Montauk, NY, 11954.
The Air and Speed Board Shop offers group and private surfing lessons. The shop also sells surfing, snowboarding, and skateboarding equipment, plus the latest in clothing and accessories. 795 Main St., Montauk, NY, 11954. 631/668-0356.
Plaza Sports sells surfing equipment as well as biking paraphernalia, surfing and swimming gear, and beach sportswear. 716 Main St., Montauk, NY, 11954. 631/668-9300.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's