- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
On Fire Island, only Robert Moses State Park, on the west end, and Smith Point County Park, on the opposite end, are accessible by car, so plan on taking a ferry. If you drive to the ferry, park your car in one of the lots by the boat terminals. Alternatively, consider taking the Long Island Rail Road to a South Shore village with ferry service (Sayville or Patchogue, for example).
Three passenger ferries service Fire Island. The Sayville Ferry Service shuttles from Sayville to Cherry Grove, the Pines, and Sailor's Haven. Fire Island Ferries links Bay Shore, on the mainland, with eight Fire Island communities, including Fair Harbor, Kismet, Ocean Bay Park, Ocean Beach, Saltaire, and Seaview. Davis Park Ferry runs from Patchogue to Davis Park and Watch Hill. The services offer long-term parking, (from $8 weekdays to $38 weekends) on the mainland side. Round-trips are about $16, depending on your destination.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's