When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
After a long, snowy Northeast winter there's nothing quite like the spring here. The remaining patches of snow are quickly overtaken by early spring flowers, namely the tulip, which is the focus of a weekend-long celebration every Mother's Day. Summer temperatures are mostly moderate, with the exception of a few 90°F days. With the warm weather comes the festival season, when many regional parks stage outdoor concerts and plays. The festivals last through the fall harvest season, when the weather cools and the trees burst with colorful foliage. Late July and August are high points in Saratoga Springs, when the horse-racing season—with its attendant cultural and social activities—is in full swing.
Although the Leatherstocking region draws visitors throughout the year, the most popular time to visit is summer, when antiques hunters are out in full force, seeking treasures in the hundreds of shops scattered throughout Schoharie, Madison, and Broome counties, and baseball enthusiasts converge on Cooperstown, the home of America's favorite pastime. With its apple harvests and spectacular displays of colorful foliage, fall is also a good time to visit. In winter the region sees 100-plus inches of snow. From mid-March to early May the combination of melting snow and spring showers creates what's known as mud season.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Days Inn University Fr $71+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Albany for Less: Hotels Fr $59+/Nt Travelocity
- Save on Your Vacation: 9 Nts Skyler + Air Fr $1,035 Travelocity
- $19.95 & up : Economy rentals in Syracuse Hotwire
- Albany Savings! Book at CrestHill Suites Albany Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Expedia