- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Visitors to the capital region should find it quite easy to navigate. The New York State Thruway connects downstate to upstate via its branches: Interstate 90 east and Interstate 87 north and south. Troy is located just north of Albany off Interstate 87, while Schenectady can be reached just west of Albany via Interstate 90. Amtrak also makes the region accessible, as the train stops in Schenectady, Albany, and Rensselaer to the east. Albany International Airport is a major air-travel hub that offers rental cars and bus service.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines