- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top jockeys compete for six weeks (starting in late July) each year at the Saratoga Race Course, the nation's oldest Thoroughbred track. Breakfast at the track has become a tradition, with a buffet meal served 7–9:30, while the horses go through their morning workouts. You also can bring your own breakfast and sit in the stands for the free show. Afterward, get a behind-the-scenes look at the track with a free tram tour of the backstretch. 262 Union Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY, 11417. 518/584–6200. www.nyra.com.
The action at the Saratoga Raceway is in the form of harness racing, and it's free and offered year-round. Nelson Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY, 12866. 518/584-2110. www.saratogaraceway.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe