- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Turning Stone Resort & Casino has three championship golf courses. Golf Digest chose the Rick Smith course at the Shenendoah Golf Club as one of the best-conditioned courses in the United States. The 7,129-yard course was designed with nature in mind, with efforts made to preserve delicate wetlands. Robert Trent Jones Jr. designed the challenging 7,105-yard course at the Kaluhyat Golf Club, a mix of open links-style stretches and tight tree-lined fairways. The course takes advantage of the rolling landscape, so you have to place shots to remain in play; attempt the shortcut and the tall native grasses surely will make you pay with a penalty stroke.
The newest of the resort's golf offerings is the 7,314-yard Tom Fazio course at the off-property Atunyote Golf Club, designed for the long-ball hitter. But this course, too, has a variety of challenges in its stretches of open space and gentle slopes. The course includes several lakes, the largest of which runs along three fairways. Greens fees run $90–$175 for resort guests and $125–$200 for nonguests. The resort also has two 9-hole courses. 5218 Patrick Rd., Verona, NY. 800/771–7711. www.turning-stone.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe