- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In its heyday, this Erie Canal town bustled with mills and factories churning out manufactured goods, from carpets and curtains to carriage springs. Amsterdam was once the nation's biggest producer of brooms, crafting 7 million a year from corn grown in the Mohawk Valley. Today visitors stop in the former Rug City (population 21,000) on their way to many historic sites, both American Indian and colonial. The city has one of the oldest upstate Hispanic communities and is the home of musicians Alex Torres and the Latin Kings.
Amsterdam at a Glance
Elsewhere in Albany and Central New York
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's