The standard state gross receipts tax rate is 5%, but municipalities and counties enact additional charges at varying rates. Sales tax in Santa Fe is just under 8%. If you're on a budget and plan on renting a car and/or staying in hotels, be sure to ask for the exact amount of your lodging and rental-car taxes, as they can be quite steep and can make a big dent in a tight budget.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe