The standard state gross receipts tax rate is 5%, but municipalities and counties enact additional charges at varying rates. Sales tax in Santa Fe is just under 8%. If you're on a budget and plan on renting a car and/or staying in hotels, be sure to ask for the exact amount of your lodging and rental-car taxes, as they can be quite steep and can make a big dent in a tight budget.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $167* & up -- Flights to/from Tucson on American, R/T American Airlines
- $79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, Reg. $470 BookIt.com
- $109 & up -- Anaheim Hotel across from Disney, 45% Off Bookit.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel