- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arroyo Seco Review
Established in 1834 by local Spanish farmers and ranchers, this charming village has today become a secluded, artsy escape from the sometimes daunting summer crowds and commercialism of the Taos Plaza—famous residents include actress Julia Roberts and former U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who own ranches adjacent to one another. You reach the tiny commercial district along NM 150, about 5 mi north of the intersection with U.S. 64 and NM 522 (it's about 9 mi north of the plaza). The drive is part of the joy of visiting, as NM 150 rises steadily above the Taos Valley, offering panoramic views of the Sangre de Cristos—you pass through Arroyo Seco en route to the Taos Ski Valley.
Arroyo Seco is without any formal attractions or museums, and that's partly its charm. The main reasons for making the trip here are to behold the dramatic scenery, grab a bite at one of the handful of excellent restaurants (ice cream from Taos Cow Cafe and tamales from Abe's Cantina are both revered by locals), and browse the several galleries and boutiques, whose wares tend to be a little more idiosyncratic but no less accomplished than those sold in Taos proper.
- Address: Taos
- Location: Arroyo Seco
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Taos: Book 3 Nts in May at Sagebrush Inn Fr $101+/Nt Expedia
- Save in Taos: Book 3 Nts in May at Quality Inn Fr $79+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Taos: Save this May Fr $162+/Nt — $162 Expedia
- Save in Taos: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $113+/Nt — $113 Expedia
- Dreamcatcher B&B in May: $181 & Up — $181 Expedia
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine. ... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more