Skiing in Taos
Taos Ski Valley. With 113 runs—just more half of them for experts—and an average of more than 300 inches of annual snowfall, Taos Ski Valley ranks among the country's most respected, and challenging, resorts. The slopes, which cover a 2,600-foot vertical gain of lift-served terrain and another 600 feet of hike-in skiing, tend to be narrow and demanding (note the ridge chutes, Al's Run, Inferno), but about a quarter of them (e.g., Honeysuckle) are for intermediate skiers, and another quarter are (e.g., Bambi, Porcupine) for beginners. Taos Ski Valley is justly famous for its outstanding ski schools, some of the best in the country. End of NM 150, 20 mi north of Plaza, Taos Ski Valley, NM, 87525. 575/776–2291 or 866/968–7386. www.skitaos.org. Lift tickets $77. Late Nov.–early Apr.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's