Fishing in Taos
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Carson National Forest has some of the best trout fishing in New Mexico. Its streams and lakes are home to rainbow, brown, and native Rio Grande cutthroat trout.
Reasonably priced and with very knowledgeable guides, Blue Yonder Fly Fishing can customize anything from a casual half-day outing for beginners to an extensive all-day adventure for experienced anglers—gear, instruction, and meals are included. Taos. 575/779–9002. www.blueyonderflyfishing.com.
Just south of Taos Plaza, Cottam's Ski & Outdoor provides fishing and bike trips and ski and snowboard rentals. 207-A Paseo del Pueblo Sur, Plaza and Vicinity, Taos, 87571. 575/758-2822 or 800/322-8267. www.cottamsoutdoor.com.
Solitary Angler guides fly-fishing expeditions that search out uncrowded habitats. Taos. 575/758-5653 or 866/502-1700. www.thesolitaryangler.com.
Well-known area fishing guide Taylor Streit of Taos Fly Shop & Streit Fly Fishing takes individuals or small groups out for fishing and lessons. 308-C Paseo del Pueblo Sur, Plaza and Vicinity, Taos, 87571. 575/751-1312. www.taosflyshop.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe