- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The town of Socorro, population about 9,000, traces its roots back to the earliest Spanish expeditions into New Mexico when explorer Juan de Oñate established a permanent settlement along the Rio Grande in 1598. Native Americans provided corn for the expedition, inspiring Oñate to give the community a name that means succor, or help. The San Miguel Mission church was established in 1628, but Spanish settlement was virtually erased during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and did not reestablish itself until 1816. If not for this early and lengthy period of dormancy in the area, the city might have been the capital of New Mexico, with its prime location in a large, fertile valley, amid then-thriving pueblos, abundant water sources, and tremendous mineral wealth.
Socorro's business district now occupies historic buildings that surround its sleepy square, which has a park with a gazebo and a plaque commemorating the arrival of Juan de Oñate. The town's claim to fame is the highly regarded New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (now more commonly called New Mexico Tech) founded in 1893 as the New Mexico School of Mines—though, unfortunately, the student population doesn't translate into town vibrancy or any sort of nightlife. The institution's original specialties were chemistry and metallurgy, but along with scientific research now there are programs in medicine, engineering, and business.
Socorro at a Glance
Elsewhere in Southwestern New Mexico
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Las Cruces Savings! Book at Days Inn Las Cruces Fr $93+/Nt Expedia
- Jun deal: Hampton Inn & Suites Las Cruces I-25 Fr $117+/Nt Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Unbelievable Price! 11 Nts Encanto de Las Cruces + Air Fr $1,056 Travelocity
- Jun deal: Super 8 Las Cruces/White Sands Fr $66+/Nt — $66 Expedia
- Super Low Silver City Rate: Book Fr $115+/Nt — $115 Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less