- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bear Mountain Lodge
At a Glance
- quiet, distinctive hideaway
- a 10- to 15-minute drive to Silver City dining and shopping
Check Rates from our Partners
Bear Mountain Lodge Review
Once owned and operated by the Nature Conservancy, this serene 1928 haven was restored in 2010, and reopened to great acclaim in the hands of new owners, Linda Brewer and John Rohovec, who continue to offer luxury accommodations for bird-watchers and nature lovers. You have direct access to 178 acres of Gila National Forest land, where you can spot bird species such as the Gila woodpecker, vermilion flycatcher, and red-faced warbler. Four second-story rooms in the main lodge have views of mountains and forestland. Two downstairs lodge rooms have outdoor access to a covered porch. Four guest rooms are available in Myra's Retreat, a separate building named for the former owner, and a great space for a larger family or group. A two-bedroom guesthouse known as the Wren's Nest has an exposed wood ceiling. Throughout the lodge, hardwood floors and locally handcrafted furniture—all made from reclaimed wood—add to the rustic elegance. The rooms and grounds now have a contemporary touch as well, with the bright addition of sculptures and wall art from the owners' Blue Dome Gallery, which is also onsite. Naturalist- and horseback-guided trips are available for a fee. Box lunches and dinner are available for additional charge and by arrangement. The Café, featuring local foods and an irresistible menu (roasted vegetable strata, chile-laden pot roast hash, fresh apple cider, Mexican chocolate-chip cookies, and homemade ice cream), is open to the public for Sat. and Sun. brunch.
- Address: 2251 Cottage San Rd., ; 4 mi north of Silver City via Alabama St., which becomes Cottage San Rd., Silver City, 88062 | Map It
- Phone: 575/538-2538; 877/620-2327
- Website: www.bearmountainlodge.com
- Location: Silver City
- 12 rooms, 3 houses.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $100.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Las Cruces Hotwire
- Encanto de Las Cruces on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $136+/Nt Expedia
- Top Vacation Sale! 17 Nts + Air as Low as $1,024 Travelocity
- $54.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Las Cruces — $54 Hotwire
- 2% OFF BEST WESTERN Mission Inn! 17 Nts + Air Fr $1,255 — $1,255 Travelocity
We are almost a wk in to our 30th home exchange, this time Santa Fe, New Mexico.
It's a trip that was planned about six months ago, with the written agreement, we would each drive to our home exchangers' Read more
4 days in a row both computers offered to guests would not function properly.
Hotel under renovation, but was not told this when I made the reservation. Was told during check-in. Daily use of jackhammers, Read more
We would like to have comments on our itinerary please:
We have been to Santa Fe and Taos, but are traveling with a 24 yo daughter who has not. Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more