- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bear Mountain Lodge
At a Glance
- quiet, distinctive hideaway
- a 10- to 15-minute drive to Silver City dining and shopping
Bear Mountain Lodge Review
Once owned and operated by the Nature Conservancy, this serene 1928 haven was restored in 2010, and reopened to great acclaim in the hands of new owners, Linda Brewer and John Rohovec, who continue to offer luxury accommodations for bird-watchers and nature lovers. You have direct access to 178 acres of Gila National Forest land, where you can spot bird species such as the Gila woodpecker, vermilion flycatcher, and red-faced warbler. Four second-story rooms in the main lodge have views of mountains and forestland. Two downstairs lodge rooms have outdoor access to a covered porch. Four guest rooms are available in Myra's Retreat, a separate building named for the former owner, and a great space for a larger family or group. A two-bedroom guesthouse known as the Wren's Nest has an exposed wood ceiling. Throughout the lodge, hardwood floors and locally handcrafted furniture—all made from reclaimed wood—add to the rustic elegance. The rooms and grounds now have a contemporary touch as well, with the bright addition of sculptures and wall art from the owners' Blue Dome Gallery, which is also onsite. Naturalist- and horseback-guided trips are available for a fee. Box lunches and dinner are available for additional charge and by arrangement. The Café, featuring local foods and an irresistible menu (roasted vegetable strata, chile-laden pot roast hash, fresh apple cider, Mexican chocolate-chip cookies, and homemade ice cream), is open to the public for Sat. and Sun. brunch.
- Address: 2251 Cottage San Rd., ; 4 mi north of Silver City via Alabama St., which becomes Cottage San Rd. Silver City, 88062 | Map It
- Phone: 575/538–2538; 877/620–2327
- Website: www.bearmountainlodge.com
- Location: Silver City
- 12 rooms, 3 houses.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Someone just posted about the fiesta, which starts tomorrow. Read more
My husband, adult son and I just took a 7 day trip in a loop from/back to Albuquerque. Read more
What city is warm year round and can access a lot of the city without driving or at least be able to get to and from home and job without driving. Read more
· News & Features
Loaded with fun, kitschy tradition from aliens to Americana, as well the more mystic legends of healing... Read more
From historic holistic practices and "energy vortexes" to art galleries and fantastic cuisine, there are... Read more
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more