- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Wilderness Lodge & Hot Springs
At a Glance
- surrounded by mountains and rivers, this is truly secluded
- no restaurants or shops nearby
- shared bathrooms (except for suite)
The Wilderness Lodge & Hot Springs Review
This basic retreat in the heart of the Gila Wilderness is a handy base if you want plenty of time to explore the Gila Cliff Dwellings, 4 mi north. An added bonus are two relaxing hot-springs pools. The lodge was built from a century-old former schoolhouse that was hauled here from Hurley and not very formally re-pieced together, making the place feel somewhat haphazard in its layout and construction, but comfortable nevertheless. The covered front porch is a great place to sit and enjoy coffee with the birds and trees. The stars at night are brilliant. Bring groceries—full, shared, kitchen facilities are available to make dinner.
- Address: Off NM 15 at Gila Hot Springs, 14 mi north of NM 15 at NM 35 (40 mi north of Silver City), Gila Hot Springs, 88049 | Map It
- Phone: 575/536–9749
- Website: www.gilahot.com
- Location: Gila National Forest
- 5 rooms with shared bath, 1 suite.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Someone just posted about the fiesta, which starts tomorrow. Read more
My husband, adult son and I just took a 7 day trip in a loop from/back to Albuquerque. Read more
What city is warm year round and can access a lot of the city without driving or at least be able to get to and from home and job without driving. Read more
· News & Features
Loaded with fun, kitschy tradition from aliens to Americana, as well the more mystic legends of healing... Read more
From historic holistic practices and "energy vortexes" to art galleries and fantastic cuisine, there are... Read more
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more