- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Casitas de Gila
At a Glance
- peace and quiet
- mountain vistas and the brightest stars you've ever seen
- be prepared for a remote getaway—it's a winding, slow (with some gravel) road for the last 4 mi, and the town of Gila doesn't offer much
Casitas de Gila Review
On the western edge of the Gila Wilderness are five private casitas ("little houses" in Spanish) overlooking Bear Creek, nestled on 260 gorgeous acres. The night skies are brilliant, with countless stars twinkling, and the swath of the Milky Way glowing brightly. Each casita has its own spotting telescope or high-powered binoculars. Watching the stars from the shared hot tub is not to be missed. Guests have access to the organic herb garden (in season), which is super for those wanting to use the casitas' well-equipped kitchens and barbecue grills. Custom-crafted Southwestern-style furnishings, kiva fireplaces, radiant-heated floors, and generously appointed baths make for a perfect year-round getaway. The gracious and well-informed hosts offer star parties and tips on hiking and local geology; there are 9 mi of trails right on the property. There's also a very well-curated art gallery on-site.
- Address: 50 Casita Flats Rd., off Hooker Loop, 30 mi northwest of Silver City 88038 | Map It
- Phone: 575/535–4455; 877/923–4827
- Website: www.casitasdegila.com
- Location: Gila National Forest
- 4 1-bedroom casitas, 1 2-bedroom casita.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Someone just posted about the fiesta, which starts tomorrow. Read more
My husband, adult son and I just took a 7 day trip in a loop from/back to Albuquerque. Read more
What city is warm year round and can access a lot of the city without driving or at least be able to get to and from home and job without driving. Read more
· News & Features
Loaded with fun, kitschy tradition from aliens to Americana, as well the more mystic legends of healing... Read more
From historic holistic practices and "energy vortexes" to art galleries and fantastic cuisine, there are... Read more
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more