- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Casitas de Gila
At a Glance
- peace and quiet
- mountain vistas and the brightest stars you've ever seen
- be prepared for a remote getaway—it's a winding, slow (with some gravel) road for the last 4 mi, and the town of Gila doesn't offer much
Check Rates from our Partners
Casitas de Gila Review
On the western edge of the Gila Wilderness are five private casitas ("little houses" in Spanish) overlooking Bear Creek, nestled on 260 gorgeous acres. The night skies are brilliant, with countless stars twinkling, and the swath of the Milky Way glowing brightly. Each casita has its own spotting telescope or high-powered binoculars. Watching the stars from the shared hot tub is not to be missed. Guests have access to the organic herb garden (in season), which is super for those wanting to use the casitas' well-equipped kitchens and barbecue grills. Custom-crafted Southwestern-style furnishings, kiva fireplaces, radiant-heated floors, and generously appointed baths make for a perfect year-round getaway. The gracious and well-informed hosts offer star parties and tips on hiking and local geology; there are 9 mi of trails right on the property. There's also a very well-curated art gallery on-site.
- Address: 50 Casita Flats Rd., off Hooker Loop, 30 mi northwest of Silver City 88038 | Map It
- Phone: 575/535–4455; 877/923–4827
- Website: www.casitasdegila.com
- Location: Gila National Forest
- 4 1-bedroom casitas, 1 2-bedroom casita.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My DW dropped me off at the Amtrak station a little after 8PM in CMO on 2/5. Read more
Day 1 - 28th Oct.(15 miles) Our weather reports had told us that overnight and morning would be the worst storms in the UK for 25 yrs. Got to be true as they had been forecasting it for days and days before. Read more
I'm headed to NM to meet my cousin for his Spring Break next weekend and we are headed to Yellowstone and back for the week. Read more
· News & Features
Loaded with fun, kitschy tradition from aliens to Americana, as well the more mystic legends of healing ... Read more
From historic holistic practices and "energy vortexes" to art galleries and fantastic cuisine, there are... Read more
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more