- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hatch bills itself the Chile Capital of the World. And although chiles are grown elsewhere in the state—and some might argue taste just as good—Hatch is still considered the source for the headily aromatic, highly addictive, metabolism-firing, not always killer-hot state vegetable (it actually shares this honor with frijoles, aka pinto beans, and it's technically a fruit rather than a vegetable). Come here in the fall when the roasters are firing, and you'll immediately understand the allure of this otherwise rather indistinct small town. If you need additional tempting, consider Hatch's enviable location on the lovely NM 185/187, a two-lane river-valley road that parallels I–25 and makes for an enchanting scenic drive between Las Cruces and Truth or Consequences.
Hatch at a Glance
Elsewhere in Southwestern New Mexico
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's