Southwestern New Mexico Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Spaceport America. It may be hard to imagine as you gaze into the infinite blue of New Mexico's southern sky, but someday soon those wispy contrails you see lingering from rocket engines may be the residue of vehicles carrying tourists into Earth's orbit—and beyond.
In October 2005 the White Sands Missile Range hosted the first of a series of X Prize Cup competitions, aimed at enabling private industry to become involved in (relatively) economical space travel. Some of the launch technologies that resulted have been pivotal to the development, barely five years later, of the facility that will house Virgin Galactic and make space tourism a reality (though cash flow is more likely to come from suborbital satellite launches and payload cargo). Visitor centers in both Hatch and Truth or Consequences are planned to launch as soon as Spaceport flights are operational; bus tours that will originate from those centers are part of the program. But to get on board SpaceShipTwo, it will cost you around $200,000. 70 mi northwest of Las Cruces, 43 mi southeast of Truth or Consequences, Spaceport, 88012. www.spaceportamerica.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Silver City: Save this May Fr $85+/Nt Expedia
- $56.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Las Cruces Hotwire
- Las Cruces on Sale! 8 Nts + Air as Low as $860 Travelocity
- Book 3-Star Drury Inn & Suites Las Cruces Fr $128+/Nt — $128 Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- $93.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Las Cruces — $93 Hotwire