- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A year-round mountain resort town on the eastern slopes of the pine-covered Sacramento Mountains, Ruidoso retains a certain rustic charm. Shops, antiques stores, bars, and restaurants line its main street, and in winter, skiers flock to nearby Ski Apache. In summer, Ruidoso is a paradise for outdoors lovers and Texans seeking respite from the blazing heat of lower elevations.
The general quality of lodging and dining options in town is very good, and service is friendly and laid-back, as are most patrons. Cuisine tends toward basic American and Americanized Mexican, but a handful of restaurants serve fresher and more updated variations on this theme.
Ruidoso at a Glance
- Hubbard Museum of the American West
- Lincoln County Cowboy Symposium
- Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Southeastern New Mexico
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe