- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Besides its historic significance as one of the area's earliest military outposts and the place where Billy the Kid was killed, the town of Fort Sumner is known for its air park, where NASA launches balloons used in scientific research. Nearby Sumner Lake provides irrigation for area farms and ranches, as well as boating and fishing opportunities. In June the De Baca County Chamber of Commerce hosts the annual Old Fort Days here, with living-history demonstrations and mock shoot-outs.
Fort Sumner at a Glance
Elsewhere in Southeastern New Mexico
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe