- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Custom Tours by Clarice are guided open-air tram excursions that run four times a day from the corner of Lincoln Avenue and West Palace Avenue. These 90-minute tours don't require reservations and offer a nice overview of Downtown; the company also gives bus and shuttle tours of Bandelier and Taos, and shuttle services from town to the Santa Fe Opera (reservations required). 505/438-7116. www.santafecustomtours.com.
Great Southwest Adventures conducts guided tours in 7- to 35-passenger van and bus excursions to Bandelier, O'Keeffe country, the High Road and Taos, and elsewhere in the region.Guides are avid outdoors enthusiasts; in addition to their regular tour offerings, the company arranges eye-opening single- and multiday custom hikes and photography trips. 505/455-2700. www.swadventures.com.
Rojo Tours designs specialized trips—to view wildflowers, pueblo ruins and cliff dwellings, galleries and studios, Native American arts and crafts, and private homes—as well as adventure activity tours. 505/474-8333. www.rojotours.com.
Santa Fe Detours offers a more limited selection of tours, by reservation only. 505/983-6565 or 800/338-6877. www.sfdetours.com.
Santa Fe Guides is an organization of about 15 respected independent tour guides—its Web site lists each member and his or her specialties. 505/466-4877. www.santafeguides.org.
Art Adventures in the Southwest takes you into the New Mexico landscape for outdoor art classes with Jane Shoenfeld. All materials are supplied, and all experience levels are welcome. 505/986-1108. www.skyfields.net.
The Santa Fe Art Institute is housed in the Visual Arts Center designed by Mexican architect Ricardo Legorreta (a modernist break from Santa Fe style). The institute (not part of the College of Santa Fe) offers weeklong workshops that have been led by such renowned artists as Phoebe Adams and Richard Diebenkorn. Dormitory quarters are available and studio space is provided. Workshops are offered year-round. College of Santa Fe, 1600 St. Michael's Dr., Santa Fe. 505/424-5050. www.sfai.org.
Santa Fe Photographic Workshops offers workshops in photographic processes, including digital imaging, platinum, and travel photography. The workshops have an excellent reputation, and many instructors return year after year. 505/983-1400. www.sfworkshop.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $64.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Santa Fe Hotwire
- Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza in May: $235 & Up Expedia
- $29.57 & up : Full Size rentals in Santa Fe Hotwire
- $160.00 & up : 4.5-star hotels in Santa Fe — $160 Hotwire
- $23.57 & up : Economy rentals in Santa Fe — $24 Hotwire