New Mexican architect John Gaw Meem designed Fuller Lodge, a short drive up Central Avenue from the Bradbury Science Museum. The massive log building was erected in 1928 as a dining and recreation hall for a small private boys' school. In 1942 the federal government purchased the school and made it the base of operations for the Manhattan Project. Part of the lodge contains an art center that shows the works of northern New Mexican artists; there's a gorgeous rose garden on the grounds. This is a bustling center with drop-in art classes, nine art shows per year, and an outstanding gallery gift shop featuring works by nearly 100 local artisans.