A fonda (inn) has stood on this site, southeast of the Plaza, for centuries. Architect Isaac Hamilton Rapp, who put Santa Fe style on the map, built this area landmark in 1922. Remodeled in the early 20th century by architects John Gaw Meem and Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter, the hotel was sold to the Santa Fe Railway in 1926 and remained a Harvey House hotel until 1968. The property completed its latest major renovation in 2013, its guest rooms receiving a smart but
still classic makeover, but the historic public areas retain their original design elements. Because of its proximity to the Plaza and its history as a gathering place for everyone from cowboys to movie stars (Errol Flynn stayed here), it's referred to as "The Inn at the End of the Trail." Step inside to browse the shops on the main floor or to eat at one of the restaurants (La Plazuela or the French Bakery). The dark, cozy bar draws both locals and tourists and has live music many nights. For a real treat: Have a drink at the fifth-floor Bell Tower Bar (open late spring–early fall), which offers tremendous sunset views.