Believed to be the oldest church still in use in the United States, this simple earth-hue adobe structure was built in the 1610s by the Tlaxcalan Indians of Mexico, who came to New Mexico as servants of the Spanish. Badly damaged in the 1680 Pueblo Revolt, the structure was restored and enlarged in 1710. On display in the chapel are priceless statues and paintings and the San José Bell, weighing nearly 800 pounds, which is believed to have been cast in Spain in 1356.
In winter the church sometimes closes before its official closing hour. Mass is held on Sunday at 5 pm.
401 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 87501, United States