Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary
Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary Review
The mystique of wolves is powerful and Wild Spirit is one of the few places where you can see them up close, in large enough enclosures that allow them to behave somewhat naturally. The staff at Wild Spirit are focused on educating the public about the dangers of trying to keep these animals, even hybrid wolf dogs, as pets. Camping is allowed on the premises, if you have a hankering to listen to wolf howls; it's primitive and only $15 a night. The gift shop also sells snacks; it closes after the last tour, about 4:30. The on-site Howling Wolf Grill offers hot food on limited days.
- Address: 50 mi southwest of Grants, off NM 53;take NM 53 5 mi west of El Morro National Monument and turn south onto Rte. 125; follow Rte. 125 8 mi south (through Mountainview); turn right onto Rte. 120 (gravel); sanctuary is 4 mi on left, 87321
- Phone: 505/775–3304
- Cost: $7; additional fee for up-close photo tours, make reservations for these 2 weeks ahead
- Hours: Tours Tues.–Sun. at 11, 12:30, 2, and 3:30; Howling Wolf Grill Thurs.–Sun., during tour times.
- Website: www.wildspiritwolfsanctuary.org
- Location: El Morro National Monument