- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- the space is immaculate, and more spacious—tall people will be comfortable—than photos indicate
- it is a truly unique experience to stay inside a cave on a cliff dwelling
- cave isn't easy to access, especially with large luggage
- food supplied is supermarket-deli caliber
Check Rates from our Partners
Kokopelli's Cave Review
Carved into the cliff side 250 feet above the La Plata River and surrounded by distant mountains (on a clear day you can see Shiprock and the Chuskas), this man-made cave's exposed sandstone walls trace 70 million years of erosion history. Blasted out in the 1980s and '90s—and originally intended as a getaway office for a local geologist—the decor is generally modern, with a bit of a 1960s "conversation pit" feel. It's laid out like a home, with a fireplace in the den, full kitchen, and a rustic shower that trickles into a hot tub. Two terraces provide breathtaking views, and a trail on the cliff face runs some 70 vertical feet to the parking area. The cave accommodates up to six people and remains a temperate 72°F year-round. Book at least one month in advance. Note: Guests are instructed to stop at the manager's home to check in before going to the cave. Lindy Poole, the congenial manager, will accompany all visitors on their first time out—and fill them in on some of the antics it took to outfit the place.
- Address: The cave parking area is about 20 minutes northwest from Downtown Farmington, Farmington, 87401 | Map It
- Phone: 505/325–7855; 505/326–2461 manager
- Website: www.bbonline.com/nm/kokopelli
- Location: Farmington
- 1 unit.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My DW dropped me off at the Amtrak station a little after 8PM in CMO on 2/5. Read more
Day 1 - 28th Oct.(15 miles) Our weather reports had told us that overnight and morning would be the worst storms in the UK for 25 yrs. Got to be true as they had been forecasting it for days and days before. Read more
We are planning a weekend gathering of relatives in Albuquerque in May. Read more
· News & Features
Loaded with fun, kitschy tradition from aliens to Americana, as well the more mystic legends of healing... Read more
From historic holistic practices and "energy vortexes" to art galleries and fantastic cuisine, there are... Read more
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more