- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- the space is immaculate, and more spacious—tall people will be comfortable—than photos indicate
- it is a truly unique experience to stay inside a cave on a cliff dwelling
- cave isn't easy to access, especially with large luggage
- food supplied is supermarket-deli caliber
Kokopelli's Cave Review
Carved into the cliff side 250 feet above the La Plata River and surrounded by distant mountains (on a clear day you can see Shiprock and the Chuskas), this man-made cave's exposed sandstone walls trace 70 million years of erosion history. Blasted out in the 1980s and '90s—and originally intended as a getaway office for a local geologist—the decor is generally modern, with a bit of a 1960s "conversation pit" feel. It's laid out like a home, with a fireplace in the den, full kitchen, and a rustic shower that trickles into a hot tub. Two terraces provide breathtaking views, and a trail on the cliff face runs some 70 vertical feet to the parking area. The cave accommodates up to six people and remains a temperate 72°F year-round. Book at least one month in advance. Note: Guests are instructed to stop at the manager's home to check in before going to the cave. Lindy Poole, the congenial manager, will accompany all visitors on their first time out—and fill them in on some of the antics it took to outfit the place.
- Address: The cave parking area is about 20 minutes northwest from Downtown Farmington, Farmington, 87401 | Map It
- Phone: 505/325-7855; 505/326-2461 manager
- Website: www.bbonline.com/nm/kokopelli
- Location: Farmington
- 1 unit.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $64-$79 -- Albuquerque Hotel near World's Longest Tramway Native Lodge - A Heritage Hotel & Resort
- $119-$149 -- Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, w/City Tour Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
- $119 -- Sheraton Albuquerque w/Breakfast & Baseball Tickets — $119 Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel
Will be driving (with my wife & two small kids) from Malibu to Santa Fe in a couple of weeks. Read more
· News & Features
Whether you come for the art, the chiles, or the architecture, you'll definitely stay for the wine.... Read more
As you twitch in anticipation of the final installment of Breaking Bad, take a trip through the turbule... Read more
The Four Seasons will take over at Santa Fe's Encantado Resort.... Read more